In this article I want to look at a few of the different types of dumbbells that are available today. Dumbbells are one of the most widely used pieces of gym equipment by both men and women in every gym. A good set of dumbbells is the foundation of any home gym.
The reason for dumbbells being so important in any gym is their versatility. They are widely used in both strength and fitness training.
Moderate to heavy dumbbells are used in strength training which aids in developing larger stronger muscles and helps both men and women stay fit, healthy and stronger as they mature.
The use of lighter dumbbells is incorporated into many cardio routines. This provides positive results with weight loss, stamina, balance and strength due to increase the level of resistance.
Other benefits of training with dumbbells are it helps to strengthen both your bones and heart. Strength and fitness training with dumbbells will also deliver positive results with your weight loss, stamina, balance and physical strength.
A Quick Overview Of Dumbbell Exercises
Table of Dumbbell ExercisesThis table is just a guide to some of the standard exercise performed for each body part using dumbbells. As you can see, you can effectively target your whole body with dumbbells.
|Chest||Arms||Back & Shoulders||Legs||Abs|
|Flat bench press|
Incline bench press
Decline bench press
Flat bench close grip press
Flat bench fly
|Bicep curls - seated or standing|
Incline bicep curls - seated
Bicep hammer curls
Bisep preacher curls
Tricep kick backs
Tricep overhead extensions
Lying tricep extensions
|Shoulder press - standing or seated|
Side shoulder raises
Front shoulder raises
Bent over reverse fly
Seated reverse fly
|Floor exercise - lying flat on you back with knees bent and dumbbell on your chest
Floor exercise - lying flat on you back with legs and arms raised at 90 degrees and dumbbell on your chest
Types Of Dumbbells
There are 2 different types of dumbbells available for your home gym; they are fixed dumbbells and adjustable dumbbells.
The best fixed dumbbells for a home gym are a neoprene coated dumbbells ranging in weight from 2kgs to 15kgs.
* The lighter weights are great for incorporating into cardio routines to add some extra resistance
* Good for beginners and both men and women with slight build to start building their strength and fitness
* The 8kgs to 15kgs weights are great for endurance based weight training; e.g. doing 12 – 15 reps of exercises like standing shoulder fly or tricep kickbacks
* Excellent for people recovering from injury; incorporating lighter weights under the guidance of your physio therapist will aid your recovery
There are a wide range of adjustable dumbbells available today. The benefits of the adjustable type of dumbbells for a home gym are:
* Space efficient which means that instead of having multiple sets of dumbbells, you only have 1 pair that are neat and easy to store
* Weights range from 2kgs -80kgs depending on the brand. This provides enough weight to train and grow depending on each person’s individual needs
Bests Dumbbells For A Home Gym Reviews
Review #1: Apollo Athletics Blue Neoprene Dumbbell
Product: Apollo Athletics Blue Neoprene Dumbbell
Buy on Amazon:
• Neoprene coating helps prevent damage to floors and equipment
• Contour grip provides less stress on hands and wrists
• Hex head shape is designed to prevent rolling and easy storage
• Pairs range in weight from 2kgs to 15kg
• Prices range from $21.00 to $59.00 per pair depending on the size
The Apollo Neoprene Dumbbells are a great addition to any home gym. Even if have a set of adjustable dumbbells I would still recommend a few pairs of these fixed dumbbells. They quick and easy to use and provide a great deal of versatility due to their size in the lower weight ranges.
Benefits Of Using Adjustable Dumbbells In Your Home Gym
For anyone looking to enhance their home gym workout routines will benefit greatly from adjustable dumbbells. A pair of adjustable dumbbells will turn any home gym into a more efficient and productive training area. Depending on the brand and model you can adjust the dumbbells to a wide variety weight ranges.
They are space saving and efficient meaning that you don’t need to have a large number of dumbbells lying around or purchase (or make room for) other sets of dumbbells as you progress.
There are a wide range of adjustable dumbbells available today. Following are some reviews based on style and price ranges to help you choose the best set of dumbbells to suit your home gym, your budget and your training goals.
Review #2: Adjustable Rubber Coated Dumbbell 60KG Set
Product: Adjustable Rubber Coated Dumbbell 60KG Set Fitness Gym Strength Exercise
Buy on Amazon:
• 2 X 19” chrome dumbbell handles with spin lock ( star collars) which is 2.5kg each
• 4 X 1.25kg Hammertone Standard Plates
• 4 X 2.5kg Hammertone Standard Plates
• 8 X 5kg Hammertone Standard Plates
• TOTAL = 55kg weights + 5kg handles = 60kg in TOTAL
* Solid design provides stability when training
* Having weight plates ranging from 1.5kgs to 5kgs allows you to add or subtract smaller increments throughout your workout
* They are a little bit slower to change the weights than some of the more expensive models
* Because the bar protrudes through the weights you have to be a bit more aware when doing certain exercises as they might come into contact with your body during your sets e.g. bicep curls
If you are on a tight budget for your home gym these dumbbells will offer you a good range of weights and provide you with very solid workout for a very affordable price. They are a very solid construction and not prone to breaking no matter what surface you train on. Good value for the price.
Product: Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells Pair
• Use the Bowflex SelectTech App to journal your strength training.
• Space efficient – say goodbye to 15 sets of dumbbells
• Select the weight you want with a turn of a dial
• Each dumbbell adjusts from 2.5kgs to 25kgs
• Durable moulding around metal plates provides for a smooth lift-off and quieter workouts
• Premium rubber grips
* Well designed, fast and easy to change weights makes for efficient workout time
* Space efficient and comes with own individual stands
* Like all adjustable dumbbells they remove the need to multiple sets of dumbbells lying around
* They come with a limited 2 year warranty on the parts and weight plates
* The weight changing mechanism is made of plastic so you have to be a bit more careful when putting them down, especially when using heavier weights. If you drop them to hard you risk breaking the plastic part.
* They are a bit expensive so if you’re on a budget they might be a bit cost restrictive
I have read a lot of reviews on these dumbbells and the only negative comments were related too not being able to drop them like metal dumbbells, due to the risk of breaking the plastic parts.
These dumbbells are a beautiful design, they come in and out of the weight stack pretty easily, the rubber grip is very comfortable and you can change the weight rapidly if you are doing circuit training. Based quality the construction and ease of use, these are a great set of adjustable dumbbells to consider for your home gym.
In order to protect both your floor and a valuable set of adjustable dumbbells I would suggest purchasing some rubberized gym floor mats. They are reasonable priced and will provide you with a good surface to train on and give your home gym a great aesthetic aspect as well.
Product: Ironmaster 75 lb Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System with Stand
Buy on Amazon:
• Quick-Lock design adjusts from 2kgs -34kgs in 1kg increments in just seconds!
• Super heavy duty construction with welded steel, chrome plated handles
• System includes two adjustable dumbbells at 34ks each (68kgs total) and Dumbbell Stand
• Super space efficient design. Takes up less than 2 square feet
• Limited lifetime warranty
* Limited lifetime warrant is a big plus
* Heavy duty weight range provides lots of training options and room to grow
* They are very high quality, well-built, and extremely durable
* No plastic or fragile parts which make them far less likely to break if you drop them
* When the locking system is secured these dumbbells have a very solid feel when training giving you the confidence to really push yourself for maximum gains
* The dumbbells stand provides safe and neat storage
* At $699.00 they are on the more expensive side, so they are not cost effective for everyone
* Even though there are no plastic or fragile parts I would still not recommend dropping them. Adjustable dumbbells no matter how well made they are still not as robust as the fixed metal dumbbells found in commercial gyms
If you’re looking to build solid muscle mass these are a well-constructed durable pair of dumbbells that will deliver you great results. The easy locking system is not quite as fast as some of the other brands, but with practice you should be able to change them in 10 – 15 seconds, still pretty good for circuit training.
For me one of the best aspects of these dumbbells is that the when the locking system is in place it is flat, no protruding parts like some of the other sets of adjustable dumbbells. Certain exercises like dumbbell chest press require you to rest the weights on their upper thighs before commencing your set and at the end of your set. While it is not impossible with other adjustable dumbbell sets, the protruding ends do make more difficult.
The lifetime warranty, sturdy construction, the easy change locking system and their solid feel when training make the Ironmaster 75 lb Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System with Stand a great choice. If you can afford the higher price these dumbbells would be a fantastic asset to any home gym.
Review #5: Power Block Elite Dumbbells
Product: Power Block Elite Dumbbells
Buy on Amazon:
Product: PowerBlock large column stand (Silver)
Buy on Amazon:
• Has a weight range of 5-50 lbs (2-23kgs) per hand and increments- 2.5lbs (1kg) per hand (adder weight)
• Is expandable later to 70lbs (30kgs) and again to 90lbs (40kgs) per hand.
• Made in USA
• 10 year home use warranty
• Replaces 16 pairs of dumbbells in the space of 1
• Offers maximum weight of 50lbs (23) per hand; limited 10-year warranty
• Item ships in two boxes and may arrive separately
* A very compact pair of dumbbells, great for home gyms with limited space
* Limited 10 year warrant says a lot about their quality
* Flat on the ends means that you can rest them on your body easily
* Rubber grip is very comfortable and they feel solid when you’re training
* They also be expanded up to 70lbs (30kgs) & 90lbs (40kgs) allowing plenty of room for growth
* Easy to adjust the weight increments
* Reasonably priced
* Not the conventional dumbbells design, does take a bit of getting used to
* Like all adjustable dumbbells you can’t drop the like the traditional metal dumbbells. It will cause damage and void the warranty
* The selector clip is a flexible plastic and may suffer damage if dropped to hard. I could not find any reviews where this had occurred but just keep it in mind
* Due to the grips being inside the PowerBlock this may be a bit uncomfortable if you have really large hands
These dumbbells as a very good moderate weight option to start with. These are great for beginners, ladies and seasoned weight trainers who work out within the 5 -50lbs (2 – 23kkgs) weight ranges. The ability to expand them to 70lbs (30kgs) and 90lbs (40kgs) will suit larger and stronger users. They are easy to adjust and go up in increments as small as 2.5lbs. (1kg), allowing everyone to push that little bit extra.
The PowerBlocks are well constructed, and durable; the grip feels great and the movements when using them feels very natural. The dumbbells have a rubber coating on them makes them easy to grip and use and the top bars are padded which also adds stability to your wrists. The 10 year limited warranty shows the manufactures confidence in their product.
The PowerBlocks’ price is comparable to other top adjustable dumbbells, so if you have limited space and want a good solid workout then these dumbbells would be a great addition to your home gym.
Review #5: 1UP Adjustable Dumbbell Travel Hydro Aqua Water Weights
• Adjustable Training Weights – These water-filled dumbbells can hold up to 16lbs (7kgs) of water each to expand your home or travel workouts for biceps, triceps and arms
• Lightweight, Portable Equipment – These dumbbells fold flat and weight just 24 oz. when empty, making them great for a home gym, hotel rooms, or on vacation
• Expanded Workout Routine – Designed for customizable, low-impact training and post-recovery plans; choose the right difficulty level for your individual workout
• Non-Slip Foam Handles – Each dumbbell is fitted with a thick, ultra-comfortable foam handle making it easier to maintain a firm, stable grip during movements
• Safe, Durable and Easy to Use – Hydro weights not only help increase upper body strength and tone, but they’re filled with water making them safer than solid iron
I’ve include the 1UP Adjustable portable hydro weights as both a convenient option for your home gym as well as a portable gym option. By having a pair of these hydro weights, you are able to get a quick workout wherever you are.
All you need to do is fill up the water chambers with the desired weight and you have a set of dumbbells ready to go. Just fill with water and start your workout; great for improving your upper body strength and endurance. Excellent for people recovering from surgery or injury as part of their recovery plan; easy to measure lighter weights can be used as per treating medical practitioner directions.
The1UP Adjustable portable hydro weights are a great low priced portable option for your home gym and great for vacations. Light and durable you can stay fit anywhere and anytime with them.
I hope you find these reviews helpful and I’ve tried to cater to as many people as I can by presenting a range of dumbbells options for your home gym.
If you ever need a hand or have any questions, feel free to leave them inside and I will be more than happy to help you out.
GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HEALTH